You are a Superhero! And no superhero ever starved themselves to lose weight!
I am absolutely fucking outraged at the latest trend that popped up in my newsfeed today.
Sorry, forgive me, that is such a rude way to kick this off!
Kia ora wahine toa! (hello female heroes)
Kei te pehea koe? (how are you?)
Oh, thanks for asking how I am...
I am absolutely fucking outraged at the latest trend that popped up in my newsfeed today!
Now before I get really wild, please know that I am not an expert in diet or nutrition, but I have enough study behind me, experts around me and life experience to know that this one.
This new “it” diet.
This “fix all your problems” diet.
Is going to end up in the giant rubbish pile with all the other short lived bull shit ways people have developed to make money off you guys!
It is called OMAD.
One. Meal. A. Day. 🤦♀️
You eat one large meal over an hour each day.
Then fast for TWENTY THREE HOURS! 🤯
These manipulative humans have made it sound SO bloody great!
“You get to eat WHATEVER you like... in that ONE meal”
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH!!!!
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!!!!
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Ladies, wahine toa, you are superheroes!
There is no other definition that suits you better!
There is not one superhero that I have EVER met or heard of that would starve themselves to lose some weight!
You are a superhero, not someone who needs to gorge on food for one hour everyday and then starve!
How will your cup be filled with great things if your energy is plummeting at rapid speeds?
How will you save the world every bloody day when your hormones are so fucked you can’t control your emotions?!
I have the most boring thing to say now (sorry in advance).
You just need to eat sustainably (and move your butt regularly).
If you are smashing all the sugary treats all the time, yes your weight and health aren’t going to be great!
But in the long run, crash dieting WILL RESULT IN YOU PUTTING MORE WEIGHT ON!
Because one meal a day is not sustainable, you will end up giving it up and eat worse than you did before!
You just need to make small alterations to your diet.
Make them sustainable changes.
For example, change your breakfast like I did a few years ago from 4 pieces of toast to porridge!
It wasn’t rocket science.
I didn’t alter all of my eating, or I wouldn’t have stuck at it.
Then I changed the next thing, which was my morning teas from chocky bikkies to crackers and cheese with hummus.
Now hold me back - because believe it or not, other people have jumped on this bandwagon to stupidville and are supporting this shit show by offering fasting tea….Why? ... To aid the fasting.
Their marketing is on form.
Because women are succumbing to this!
They made the fasting tea with you in mind ladies, so your journey would be easier and you wouldn’t feel so hungry.
How nice of them to encourage you to not be healthy!
To put yourself at risk!
Don’t even get me started on what your children will believe if they see you do this to yourselves!
You are a superhero. A role models. An amazing leader. A change maker. Our future!
So, I have decided to saddled up my own horse and got my own bandwagon.
And our messaging is clear.
EAT IN MODERATION!!!
EAT TO FUEL YOURSELF!!!
DON’T JUST EAT FOR THE SAKE OF IT!!!
This isn’t a long rant, I am almost there, but there has to be a teachable moment here.
I can’t walk away from this without knowing you have heard me.
YOU ARE AMAZING!
YOU ARE ALL KINDS OF AMAZING!
YOU ARE A SUPERHERO!
YOU ARE STRONG!
YOU ARE YOU!
YOU ARE OMAD
And don’t you forget it.
Be proud to be you ❤️
- I am 100% aware that speaking in capitals is SO last year and not on trend with the trend police, but lower case just didn’t cut the mustard for the message I was trying to deliver to you (My pinky finger got cramp from holding down the shift button for so long)
- I apologise if you don’t like being called a Dame, finding a bloody awesome “D” word to describe wahine toa was a tough gig!
- My bandwagon is open to anyone to join, but there will be cake and other treats to consume along the long and windy road - cos what is life without cake?!
- In the picture we are having an indoor picnic on a Friday night, eating rosemary and salt chips and homemade pizza and it was flippin delicious! 🙌
- I ran this emotive piece of writing past Sarah Mercer, our Dietitian and she agrees that you would be missing out on so many nutritional requirements that there will be a risk of nutritional deficiencies, like lack of energy, concentration and so so so much more! 5+ a day whanau!! 🖐
- In case it wasn’t abundantly clear, I/we at Hey Mama Movement in NO WAY support, endorse, or give time to the notion of one meal a day. It is bullshit.